12464 hate to start another Ryanair rant, but ..

did anyone spot they are moving to online check-in only and they are going to charge us £5 for the pleasure ... see today's Ryanair announcement [url]http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=may&story=gen-en-130509[/url]

Category
Travel & Holiday Advice

also

"Ryanair will no longer accept bookings for unaccompanied minors (under 16 years old)"

[quote=alan h;121131]also

"Ryanair will no longer accept bookings for unaccompanied minors (under 16 years old)"

.[/quote]

Yes, these two ideas were made reality a while ago, if they can be factored in, and the ticket is still good value then I will fly them, if not, then I fly with others...... I am not monogamous when it comes to airlines tickets.:smile:

From a tour operator perspective they are the worst airline to deal with by a mile.

They will no longer allow third party bookings, which means if we have clients who want their flights booked, if its Ryanair we are unable to. Which for us is a real shame because some of our clients are older and are not wanting to book flights online.

[quote=italytutto;121123]did anyone spot they are moving to online check-in only and they are going to charge us £5 for the pleasure ... see today's Ryanair announcement [url=http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=may&story=gen-en-130509]Ryanair - News : Ryanair Moves to Web Check-In Only[/url][/quote]

I did note that M o L mentioned this on TV, and that he was also thinking of charging £1 to use the toilet (did this include the Captain as well?). Soon they will be applying a surcharge just to use the aircraft steps to get into the cabin.:laughs:

I've lost count of the number of times that I have had to use them since 1998. In the early days it was really good, but now they have become a bit of a joke. As for their timekeeping..that's another story. Last April I was on a flight from Eindhoven to London and the inbound was an hour late. When the aircraft came to a stop on the stand, I saw that it referred to Lufthansa as Latehansa on the fuselage. Don't think the cabin staff took kindly to my remarks.

The only plus side is the low fare, when you can get it.

Sorry , but I think Ryanair are fantastic !!!!!! I think that for the price of the fares a few extras does not hurt, I would rather them be profitable and keep going.

I booked my parents a flight to Pecara in Abruzzo from London stanstead, they arrive on Sunday and paid £54 each that was using online check in, I am sure if I told them they had to pay an extra £5 they would not cancel OR MOAN !!!!

In the nicest possible way why cant people who complain about them just use someone else, maybe because of the price? !!!

[quote=Vigneverde;121233]Sorry , but I think Ryanair are fantastic !!!!!![/quote]

I think those of us who use Ryanair on a regular basis have a right to moan! I use them mainly for convenience (it is not always practicable to use someone else for certain destinations) because of the places I travel to, although the price is not always that competitive; it depends on when you book.

It would welcome a little more competition. I also used to travel with GO before they were purchased by Easyjet. GO was, imo, one of the best low cost airlines around.

I understand that we will have to do the online check in thing here in the UK, but does that mean that we will have to do the same in Italy then if we stay for longer than 2 weeks? Sorry if that sounds a bit thick but we don't have internet at our house there so will we have to go to an internet cafe to check in for the return flight?

[quote=Flyingveepixie;121245]I understand that we will have to do the online check in thing here in the UK, but does that mean that we will have to do the same in Italy then if we stay for longer than 2 weeks? Sorry if that sounds a bit thick but we don't have internet at our house there so will we have to go to an internet cafe to check in for the return flight?[/quote]

Online check-in is available 15 days and up to 4 hours before your departure time. You might just be able to sort it all out before you go, otherwise you will need to get on line at the internet cafe' for your return flight....

[quote=Charles Joseph;121244]I think those of us who use Ryanair on a regular basis have a right to moan! I use them mainly for convenience (it is not always practicable to use someone else for certain destinations) because of the places I travel to, although the price is not always that competitive; it depends on when you book.

It would welcome a little more competition. I also used to travel with GO before they were purchased by Easyjet. GO was, imo, one of the best low cost airlines around.[/quote]

This is my point budget, budget travel meens to go cheap but unless you are real with the prices you charge you will go under or be taken over, if you want to fly cheap then accept there will be other costs involved and possibly other issues with standards, I fly with Ryanair at least 6-8 times a year and I have no complaints, but that is my experience. Even when they charge more they are still cheaper and more convenient than others (as you say in your post) their destination list and times are great in my opinion.

[quote=Vigneverde;121251] I fly with Ryanair at least 6-8 times a year .[/quote]

I have used Ryanair since 1998 and usually I fly 3-4 times a month (not just UK/Italy), so I guess our experiences will be very different. :smile:

I've been racking my brains, and please no comment, lol trying to remember who CO was. I remember flying with them before thy were taken over by Easyjet.

[quote=Sally Donaldson;121254]I've been racking my brains, and please no comment, lol trying to remember who CO was. I remember flying with them before thy were taken over by Easyjet.[/quote]

GO was the low cost arm of BA...

Charles according to - [url=http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/home.asp]The Airline Codes Website[/url] Continental Airlines ..... I don't think so in my case!!! Who did Easyjet take over???

Sorry, yes, the airline that Easyjet took over was GO..

[quote=Sally Donaldson;121256]Charles according to - [URL="http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/home.asp"]The Airline Codes Website[/URL] Continental Airlines ..... I don't think so in my case!!! Who did Easyjet take over???[/quote]

GO not CO...

GO was the brand name for BA's budget airline. BA sold the airline to Eeasyjet in 2002.

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1990691.stm]BBC News | BUSINESS | Easyjet buys Go for £374m[/url]

Go was the best. I remember my Go cabin crew from Naples to Stansted crying when the news came out - mainly because the Easyjet orange uniform is so naff compared to muted green/purple and grey of Go. However, to return to the theme, whether you use Ryanair once or 100 times - I dont think you have a right to moan - if you're flying 4 times a month, think how much you've saved over the years compared with the much higher of other carriers. You pay your money and you take your choice. I could pay 2000 euros to Alitalia for a late or non existent flight to London, or pay 100 euros to Ryanair. i would have much more right to moan if I chose the alitalia option.

[quote=ram;121295]Go was the best. I remember my Go cabin crew from Naples to Stansted crying when the news came out - mainly because the Easyjet orange uniform is so naff compared to muted green/purple and grey of Go. However, to return to the theme, whether you use Ryanair once or 100 times - I dont think you have a right to moan - if you're flying 4 times a month, think how much you've saved over the years compared with the much higher of other carriers. You pay your money and you take your choice. I could pay 2000 euros to Alitalia for a late or non existent flight to London, or pay 100 euros to Ryanair. i would have much more right to moan if I chose the alitalia option.[/quote]

Yes, Go were the best! On one flight, I was substantially inconvenienced owing to an error made by the operations staff. When I raised this with the company management, I was given a free return ticket as well as an apology. You won't get this from Ryanair.

The cost saving is not the argument here, it is the poor customer service and tansparency which is under scrutiny. I'm afraid that "Pay your money and take your choice" is just another annoying cliché and cannot really be used as an apologia, or defence to justify some of their tactics or standards. After all, we are talking about a modern airline here and not some cowboy outfit. For me, whether I pay 1000 euro or 100 euro for an airline seat is irrelevant (why would I pay for a flight that didn't exist? Moreover, assuming a flight was delayed, a National Airline would normally offer some compensation). I expect the service to be delivered in accordance with the airline's terms and conditions of carriage, especially if certain promises and claims are being made.

The point is that if the company wants to shift away from conventional to online check-in (and charge for this) to reduce costs, then fair enough, but then they should use the extra revenue to improve the service. It is annoying when departure has to be delayed - and this is a frequent occurrence - when hand baggage taken on board by passengers who have checked-in online has to be offloaded from the cabin for being too heavy or too large to fit into the overhead bins.

I tried to post this reply at 11am today, but was unable to due to 'the server being busy'. I've just got back so I'll now try again...

I don't fly anymore, but my friends do, and my son. The friends 'used to' fly RA when visiting me, but became disillusioned, not so much with the price but with the corporate attitude that to rip them off at every turn was OK! (Thier comments - not mine). They now fly over with Easyjet - or BMI until [I]they[/I] stopped flights to Milan, so now with Flybe from Birmingham to Malpensa.

My son however only uses RA for quick visits when he can get the flights for pennies. He'll then even do a quick trip just to take me out to lunch and then return home. As he says - it's a 2 hour flight. I don't buy their stuff. If they charge for the loo then I'll go before I get on board. For work he always flys BA and gets plenty of points to cover hisholiday trips. He admits that RA are OK for what they do - quick cheap flights to holiday destinations and little more. A train ticket from Maidstone to London cost more than he pays for a 'turn round' flight to Bergamo!

As the old saying goes - "You pays your money - you takes your choice"...
The choice is anyone's - de-luxe or bargain basement - no one is twisting anyones arm

Charles joseph .......... I love your rant !! Why do you fly with them if you are so obviously annoyed with them, just go somewhere else !!! if you can't then this is becuase they (RA) can do it where others can't.

They are cheap they can go any where in europe, they do exactly what they say on the tin !!!!!!!!!

:smile:

but alas Mr olearly is thwarted in his latest attempt to get even more money out of his passangers
[url=http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=may&story=gen-en-080509]Ryanair - News : Ryanair confirms that ‘fat tax’ is a non-runner[/url]

[quote=Vigneverde;121411]Charles joseph .......... I love your rant !! Why do you fly with them if you are so obviously annoyed with them, just go somewhere else !!! if you can't then this is becuase they (RA) can do it where others can't.

They are cheap they can go any where in europe, they do exactly what they say on the tin !!!!!!!!!

:smile:[/quote]

What a silly and pointless reply!

Like I said, there are times when it is not practicable to use another carrier. More competition would be a lot better. Having said that, at least with some destinations, like Pisa for example, I now do have a choice, whereas before, the options were limited.

I'm afraid they don't always do what they say on the tin as you claim (you didn't write their passenger charter by any chance?:bigergrin:) .... and there are times when their fares are not that competitive. :smile:

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/3118107/Ryanair-sued-by-passengers-over-cancelled-flights.html[/url]
[url]http://spainforvisitors.com/module-News-display-sid-253.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gatwick-sues-ryanair-over-check-fees[/url]

Personally, I love Ryanair. Never been late, very pleasant staff and cheap as chips. Its been much cheaper for me to fly to Pisa than get a bus to London!! If you don't like them Charles then fly with someone else - if there is an aiport for Ryanair to fly to then someone else must be flying there too - no airport is just for one airline! As for them being delayed due to luggage problems - that's the fault of other passengers not Ryanair. I have seen passengers trying to take stuff on board that is too heavy/too large etc and yes they hold everyone up. I have also seen passengers who are really rude to staff - personally I would open the door and chuck them out. Most companies nowadays are aware of ignorant customers and will not allow their staff to be abused and that is how it should be. Treat the staff with respect and they will return it to you. Like others have told you, stop whinging or take your business elsewhere.:yes:

[quote=marco;121454]but alas Mr olearly is thwarted in his latest attempt to get even more money out of his passangers
[URL="http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=may&story=gen-en-080509"]Ryanair - News : Ryanair confirms that ‘fat tax’ is a non-runner[/URL][/quote]

So what was Judy's idea, I thought Russ won the grand.

[quote=Lollita;121547]So what was Judy's idea, I thought Russ won the grand.[/quote]

Seems like the idea did him a [I]fat[/I] lot of good, and we [I]weighted[/I] ages for a result, but there were [I]thin[/I] pickings to be had in the end out of a thousand [I]pounds[/I].
But never mind, the [I]scales[/I] of justice deemed that no contribution could be made, as someone in Spain will now live off the [I]fat[/I] of the land thanks to Ryanair.

[quote=borrini;121542]Personally, I love Ryanair. Never been late, very pleasant staff and cheap as chips. Its been much cheaper for me to fly to Pisa than get a bus to London!! If you don't like them Charles then fly with someone else - if there is an aiport for Ryanair to fly to then someone else must be flying there too - no airport is just for one airline! As for them being delayed due to luggage problems - that's the fault of other passengers not Ryanair. I have seen passengers trying to take stuff on board that is too heavy/too large etc and yes they hold everyone up. I have also seen passengers who are really rude to staff - personally I would open the door and chuck them out. Most companies nowadays are aware of ignorant customers and will not allow their staff to be abused and that is how it should be. Treat the staff with respect and they will return it to you. Like others have told you, stop whinging or take your business elsewhere.:yes:[/quote

I think you have completely missed the point borrini. :smile: I am merely offering another side to the story, which I am perfectly entitled to.

As for your point that "if there is an aiport for Ryanair to fly to then someone else must be flying there too" then perhaps you would like to kindly recommend another airline who flys directly from Ancona to London for example. I am certainly not interested in flying to Sharm El Sheik, Munich or Rome, which are the other destinations served from this airport.

I don't think your comment about RA never being late is strictly true. You might like to know that, according to published data, the average RA delay from Stansted to Pisa for example, is around 18 mins. I think you will also find there are a number of cases where RA has been rapped for making false claims. The Air Users Council also found that BA fares were often better value than RA.

Whilst I am not saying that other airlines are perfect. Far from it. My point is that I cannot agree entriley with some of the assertions being made here. This is my opinion of course, but there is sufficient published evidence out there to refute the exagerated claims. If RA want to put "Goodbye Latehansa"on the side of its aircraft or call Easyjet Lazyjet, then perhaps it should remember "ll bue che dà del cornuto all'asino" :bigergrin:

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Maybe you are rigt.voir www.etuicoquesamsung.com