12250 Road Closure - Via Salaria (SS4)

We nearly missed our flight from Rome today because the SS4 is closed between Acquasanta Terme and Arquata. Coming from the west or from Ascoli on the SS4 the police were diverting traffic but coming, as we did, from Comunanza, the only indication of a diversion was a hand painted sign pointing to Roma / Arquata.

The cause of the closure is an overhanging 200 cubic meter boulder that they are trying to remove and it is not expected to reopen till Monday.

The two alternatives are:
1 - take the autostrada or
2 - go via Montegallo (the turn for this is just north of Roccafluvione) it takes about an extra half hour and, once you are on this road, there are some properly made signs showing where to go (it's a nice drive actually or would be if you weren't staring at your satnav's predicted arrival time edging ever farther past Ryanair's check in deadline.)

There's an article about it in [URL="http://ilrestodelcarlino.ilsole24ore.com/ascoli/2009/04/23/167538-salaria_chiusa_fino_lunedi.shtml"]Il Resto di Carlino[/URL]:

Happy motoring!

Category
Travel, Talk, Safety

Thanks very much for that - glad you made it to the airport in time! Does anyone know if the road has been re-opened as we have to go that way on Weds.
Thanks

[URL="http://www.stradeanas.it/index.php?/viabilita/cciss/regione/sede/AN"]This site[/URL] gives latest information on traffic problems. At the moment it's not showing an end date for the closure but I suggest you keep an eye on it.

Our main delay was because we didn't realise there was no diversion directly off the SS4 and so had to retrace our steps right back to Roccafluvione. If you just go from Amandola via Montefortino, Montemonaco and Montegallo to Arquata you'll probably only be twenty minutes longer than the normal route. And the plus point is that once you hit the SS4 it's really quiet so you can make up quite a lot of what you have lost.

Have a good trip.

Chris,
Would you mind just checking the website you gave me as I think the closure of the road has gone, so we are presuming the road is open but I can't remember which one it is and I want to get things right for tomorrows trip to Rome as my Mother doesn't like driving at the best of times!
Thanks
Sarah and Mark