12372 Cutting the cost of pool chemicals

We have been told of a new device called ' Flotron ' for keeping the cost of swimming pool chemicals down.
The device is from NASA space technology and is was used for turning astronaut's pee into drinking water ! but now developed into a pool cleaning device. Apparently it's solar powered and about the size of a frisby and floats on the pool surface and can save up to 90% on chemical costs....... it sounds amazing and we are thinking of buying one. The cost is around £250 but thought I would just see if any of you out there know about this device or have one, and is it as good as it sounds befoe we buy it ?

Jan and Tim

Category
Travel, Talk, Safety

Not a clue, but the chap that sells them is a good friend of my dad..........PM'd you.

Well I said on another swimming pool thread today, that we have noted that the cost of swimming pool chemicals has risen by 75% in 4 years. We do shop around and friends who "manage pools" say much the same. Everything costs far more in Italy from the winter cover (which last year we bought in UK and had shipped here and was still cheaper) to a net to catch debris. Why I know not?

Gala has also mentioned a pool vac type cleaning machine, not sure if available in Italy though. We found the one we bought several years ago was not up to the job and did not get into the corners so we still "brush/suction" the pool clean each day. If anyone can praise a pool vac machine that they have bought in Italy, I'd like to know about it and it's approx cost please.

There seem to be two considerations here:
- Cleaning the pool (debris etc..)
- Floatron (device that means you don't need to add chemicals)

I assumed Jan was interested in the latter; is that right?

Chemicals are used for hygene purposes. Surely you cannot run a pool with out some sort of chemical use and that includes salt systems? Hence our being alarmed at how much prices have risen.

Dirt, debris etc. is either cleaned with a vac that floats around the pool or a brush/suction attatchment and a strong shoulder.

Flotron? What does it replace please and is it sold in Italy as we have never seen or heard of such a thing?

[quote=Noble;120142],,,,,,,,,,,,Flotron? What does it replace please and is it sold in Italy as we have never seen or heard of such a thing?[/quote]

[url=http://www.floatron.co.uk/]floatron - your natural solution to pure pool water[/url]

£10 extra to deliver in Europe

[quote=Noble;120076]Well I said on another swimming pool thread today, that we have noted that the cost of swimming pool chemicals has risen by 75% in 4 years. We do shop around and friends who "manage pools" say much the same. Everything costs far more in Italy from the winter cover (which last year we bought in UK and had shipped here and was still cheaper) to a net to catch debris. Why I know not?

Gala has also mentioned a pool vac type cleaning machine, not sure if available in Italy though. We found the one we bought several years ago was not up to the job and did not get into the corners so we still "brush/suction" the pool clean each day. If anyone can praise a pool vac machine that they have bought in Italy, I'd like to know about it and it's approx cost please.[/quote]

Probably the leading pool equipment supply company is Astral (chemicals, filters, pumps etc).Take a look at their website in Italy, [URL="http://www.astral.it"]www.astral.it[/URL] to find your closest outlet. Normally they don't sell direct to the public but will be able to advise you on local suppliers of their products and exactly what is needed to maintain your pool at an optimum level in your region.
We bought an an Astral "Kleeneasy" robot (small underwater vacumn cleaner that you just throw in and leave to get on with things) around 4 years ago. Mid range model and I think cost €900 at the time although top of the range models cost considerably more. Cleans the bottom of the pool very efficiently in around 2 hours but does not climb steps or walls. I'm very happy with it as an "extra" but in my opinion its only the right chemical balance that will keep your water sparkling. Essentially, you need three things (1) chlorine, (2) anti algea and (3) a product such as flocculanti which makes the dirt particles in the water sink to the bottom from where they are easy to remove by your vacumn. In the past we have tried a "salt system" instead of chlorine but in the end it could not deal effectively with algea build up. I've always been led to believe that wherever there is really bright sunshine, as in Italy, this is the case with many alternative pool cleaning products which are more suited to indoor pools.