La Cuoca Calabrese - School of Calabrian Cooking
We are a Calabrian-based cooking school taught by grandmothers. Our school is located in the chestnut tree-covered hills west of Cosenza, Marano Marchesato. In this small village are the secret ingredients to our school. Please visit our website http://lacuocacalabrese.com
First, a family-owned 400 year-old Palazzo turned B&B and an adjacent treehouse village nestled in the olive trees. This is the lodging component for our school.
Next, we have the chef of a popular ristorante, which is only open in the evening, as our lead instructor and grandmother wrangler. This gives us full access to her incredible professional kitchen and dining room during the morning hours.
Finally, our translator and guide, is certified by the Italian government and is our highly-respected bridge between the non English speaking grandmothers and our North American students.
Our desire is to teach the history of Calabria through its iconic foods. Many of these were brought to Calabria via thousands of years of invasion and occupation. Using grandmothers (nonne) to help us tell the origin stories of traditional Calabrian cuisine. While tourist don’t go to Calabria…travelers do. And, it’s to these people, our school provides what they seek. Authenticity. There is nothing more authentic than a Calabrian grandmother.
- Transfer from major transit points in Calabria: Lamezia Airport (SUF) and Paola train station.
- Lodging at Palazzo Conforti and Treehouse Resort w/breakfast 6 nights
- 20 hours of instruction in typical and traditional Calabrian cooking. Pasta’s, breads, pork specialties, fish, vegetables. 4 hours per day x 5 days.
- Lunch after each class.
- Tours of farms, vineyards, markets and specialty producers.
- Sunday night welcome/aperitivo
- Monday night aperitivo plus in old Cosenza
What's not included