Museum: Revoltella Museum
The Revoltella Museum is a modern art gallery founded in Trieste in 1872 by Baron Pasquale Revoltella. The baron left his house to the city (located in Piazza Venezia) and all the works, furniture and books it contained.
The main building, designed by Friedrich Hitzig, was built in 1858. In order to expand the original collection in 1907 the city acquired the Brunner palace located nearby. However, this building was only put to full use in 1963, following a reconstruction by Carlo Scarpa. The museum today is composed of three buildings with a total exhibition area of 4,000 square meters and the main entrance from Via Diaz.
In addition to the works bequeathed by baron Revoltella, the city also acquired additional artworks over the years. On permanent display today are about 350 paintings and sculptures. The Brunner palace host works of Italian authors of the second half of the 19th century (third floor), the works acquired in the early decades of the 20th century (fourth floor), the works of artists from the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region (fifth floor) and national (sixth floor) in the second half of the 20th century.
Via Armando Diaz, 27
34123 Trieste TS