Retiring to Calabria

donna de amusa Image
05/09/2010 - 20:11

We're retiring to the Ionian Coast in Calabria and would like to hear from anyone who has already done the same, or is about to take the huge leap into a new world!!   Any discussions on topics such as health, medical, taxation, banking and particularly registering a car would be great !! Donna de Amusa



Hello, Donna de Amusa and welcome. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice here. I moved to Sicily from the UK with my dog in 2005.  The most important concern is probably health and I can't emphasise enough that you should check out the situation with the Dept of Work and Pensions before you leave. [ I'm assuming you're in the UK.]  Your British health card will cover you for 3 months. After that, you need to register with the local helath authority.  Depending on whether you are of state pension age or have retired early, the DWP will give you a form. If you have retired early you will get up to 2.5 years' cover here depending on your NI contributuions.  After that you may be covered by the Ital system if you are permanent residents .  I can't help you much re taxation as I'm hopeless with money!  There is a taxation agreemnent between Itaoly and the UK. You should inform your local tax office that you are moving to Italy. They will give you a form to fill in and tell you what to do.  Also, Barclays has excellent info on its website. I don't drive so can't help you there but I'm sure others can. You may also like to take a look at my personal blog   Hope this is of some help. Pat