toscanaman's activity

Questions Asked

You haven't asked any questions yet - go ahead and post a question

Comments posted

Thu, 12/08/2016 - 11:59

I don't think it's true. I had some adjustments done to my telephone system recently and there was no mention of that, so even if it is true it's one of many "inactive" laws. A good workman will tell you about the serious stuff which usually relates to where gas pipes can run and the ventilation of your boiler.

Mon, 11/10/2014 - 01:07

Visit the other owners and see what they say. Also get a second opinion on the repairs. If the leak comes from a terrace, that should be relatively easy to fix. You'll probably end up paying in this case but it could cost less than a lawyer - I'm assuming the owner would allow you to do the repairs if you paid. Actually, the usual procedure here is to get your geometra to write to the owner upstairs in the first instance, indicating that you'll sue if nothing happens. This is then followed by a negotiation where, as a sweetener, you offer to pay half. Again, I'm assuming a terrace problem. If it's the entire roof, sooner or later you can force the owners to pay their share.

Fri, 11/07/2014 - 05:43

Yes, that might be true. I thought it was outside France but it might be outside EU. The most recent person I met using the scheme was from Australia. Is it "resident" or depends on Nationality?

Thu, 11/06/2014 - 21:05

Hello Tinadc, I might have some useful tips for you if you want to email me at

Thu, 11/06/2014 - 20:50

Definitely don't sell it. You have no idea (or perhaps you do) of the horrors that can appear next to your house. On the other hand, having a farmer look after it is quite a good idea. You could lease it year by year for nominal rent on the basis that the farmer deals with the legal costs of the lease. And DO have a lease - if you let him use it in exchange just for a bit of cash and nothing signed, after 10 years or so you could wake up one fine morning and find that it belongs to him!

Thu, 11/06/2014 - 20:39

I can second the Peugot option. It can be used by anyone other, I think, than French residents (not sure of that - there's one exception, but UK passport holders can certainly do this). It's an extremely good deal with none of the hassles associated with Italian car hire companies.

Thu, 11/06/2014 - 20:34

You could go to the local comune and fish out the contract by which it was sold. In the bad old days this would have shown the official price and not the total since most people paid a separate balance to cut down on taxes. I don't know if this is still common.

Sat, 08/09/2014 - 05:02

I don't know about martens but foxes are our problem. We dealt with this by making sure that the chicken netting goes at least 50 cm underground otherwise they burrow under it. Setting it in concrete would be even better. Foxes (and martens, for sure) can easily climb netting so you need the netting to stick out horizontally at the top, also 50 cm. Actually, we went the whole way and put netting right over the top of the chicken coop. We find that foxes, at least, don't show up during the day, so the chickens can be let out to peck around. Even so, I have another, less secure, netting fence around the garden to discourage daylight raids by foxes.

Sat, 08/09/2014 - 04:48

Two thousand litres is a lot of water - I'm wondering what you mean by "quite quickly" in regards to depletion! Anyway, one option you could make enquiries about is to sink your own bore. Even if no one else has done that, it doesn't mean there isn't water around. Even a steady trickle would refil your tank overnight. If the water is deep (40 m, for example), you would pump it up and basically always have full tank.With regard to sharing the municipal water supply - usually there should be a tank with a "divider" at the end of the public pipe, organised so that no one is deprived of water just because one of the users is drawing off a lot. Each division should receive the same amount of incoming water, with mutual overflows so that if one user isn't drawing water off, then the other can make use of it. You would then be in charge of your own pump and valve, and when you don't hear water trickling into your tank, you would go down and check the pump.

Fri, 07/04/2014 - 12:20

I find asthma here identical to the UK although my asthma is not caused by airborne particles. I take a daily dose of Symbicort and never feel any asthmatic symptoms. I previously used Ventolin on an acute basis. You can get a local doctor to prescribe these. Some pharmacists will sell them without a presciption if they think you're a sensible person. If you're sensitive to certain kinds of pollin, then you need to be aware of the seasonal release.