What do you need for Residency (EU Nationals)

Kensington2 Image
01/18/2010 - 11:36


 I know a lot of things are talked about in Italy Mag but I thought I would ask a basic simple question regarding residency for EU Nationals. I am a EU National, under 65 and looking to re-locate to Italy. I have already purchased a house that can be lived in. I want to knwo what documents I need to produce to the commune in order to get residency status. Many Thanks

 For sure Health cover(one of the E forms?), or private insurance for two years, you also need to show proof that you can look after yourself financially (at least £5,000 in the bank I think). A search on this site will get you a LOT of the answers, but unfortunately the rules TEND to change frequently AND their interpretation can differ dramatically betweens Comunes. If you have a house already, personally I'm not certain what the actual benefits are of being a 'resident'! Good luck, S

There are some forms the Anagrafe can provide that you have to complete with data on occupants etc (you need to provide a bank statement with 5000 Euros plus in the account) but the most problematic issue is the health insurance. E-111 etc is not accepted and Comunes seem to differ on what type of Italian private health cover is acceptable (comprehensive, emergency only etc). In the end we found an agent in Rome who sold us a policy at a reasonable price specifically designed for foreigners applying for residency (see details at end of thread below) Good luck!  http://www.italymag.co.uk/community/post/type-medical-insurance-required-foreign-residents

At the moment you need the following:  Proof of income of 5061 euros pa if you are single - preferably in an italian bank account, but a British bank statement may suffice depending on your comune.  An address: the act of sale of your property is fine. Private Health Insurance: this is the tricky one. Depending where you are you may be ok with the TEAM/EHIC card until its expiry, or you will have to have a comprehensive policy issued by an Italian company, or a non Italian firm but the certificate translated into Italian by the company.  Or, again depending where you are you may be able to opt into the state insurance Assicurazione Volontaria at your local ASL which will be cheaper, but is not always available.  Depending on your comune a birth/marriage certificate translated into Italian - it doesnt have to be a sworn translation, just a competent one.  Your passport.  GOOD LUCK

If you paid your NI in the UK for the last 2 years before leaving the UK, you can request an E106 (only for working people under retirement age) which will entitile you to 2 1/2 years cover by the Italian Health Service (SSN). After that you will need to either pay voluntary contributions, present your Italian tax return showing contributions or have private health cover until you reach 5 years of residence in which case you are entitled to a permanent inscription in the SSN.

When I bought my house I think I only had to produce my passport. A form was filled in and this had to be signed by the head of the department. He accused me of being Romanian and when shown my passport, was convinced it was a forgery. Only when he was shown various other documents and about half his office told him I looked more English than anything else, did he sign. Then it was across the road to the police station to fill in another form and be told I would have a visit to check my address within the next 6 months. When my wife moved her residency a year later, the police were round within 2 weeks. I still have not been checked 3 years on. Mark

I recently gained residency.  I don't know what your Commune will be like because they don't always sing from the same hymn sheet but this is what they will probably ask you for:- * your passport so they can take a copy, confirm who you say you are and that you are an EU national. * a recent statement, only from an Italian bank, showing that you have enough funds to support yourself. Can't remember the exact amount but it was very close to €5300 per person applying for residency. * proof that you have health insurance sufficient to pay the heaviest of medical bills should the situation occur. This could be a private insurance policy but you have to make sure it's comprehensive enough but, as you are an EU national, a Brit even, you should contact the Department of Work & Pensions, tell them what you are doing, they'll get you to fill in some forms and will eventually supply you with a document that proves you have transferable health rights. If you are still currently self employed in the U.K the DWP will instruct you to obtain your documentation from the Inland Revenue. Don't take this document to the Commune, take it to your nearest ASL (Area Health Authority) administration offices and they will issue you, and your dependents (even if they are not personally applying for residency) with a health card.   Take these 3 things, Health Card, Bank Statement, Passport to the Anagrafe office of the Commune and they will confirm your residency. Ask them for a certificate confirming your residency.  If, when you purchased your property here in Italy you claimed the house as Prima Casa and informed the Notaio at the Rogito that this was the case, you would have paid a reduced Property Purchase Tax.  If you do not gain your residency within 18 months of the date of the Rogito you will not just be made to pay the tax you saved but you will also be heavily fined. You will be tracked down and you will be fined so apply well in advance of the 18 months cut off date. Italian officials can be lovely or mind numbingly obtuse and the U.K. system can be very slow and prone to confusion. SO APPLY WELL IN ADVANCE. If you've left it to the last 6 months you may well have blown it.

In reply to by pilchard

If there is a risk that the 18 months will be up before the residency is granted and/or you don't feel like doing the UK paperwork, I would suggest buying the 180Euro private cover in Italy and submitting that to the Comune as Health Cover. Of course you would want to get the agent to give you an outline of the policy and double check your Comune will accept before actually buying.

I  have had clients who have bought health cover for 180 ish euros, and it has been fine.  However the requirement is now for COMPREHENSIVE health cover and that means 900+.  Depends on the comune though.  If you use the E106 option bear in mind that should you move back tot he Uk you will not be able to use the NHS at all ever again.   It odesnt have to be an italian bank - but it helps - depending on the person behind the counter. 

Can't echo loudly enough the need to get on with it - we got our residency through within a week of the 18 months being up (phew). Comunes do vary - our comune wanted official translations of Birth and Marriage certs stamped by the anagrafe, but the comune next door only needs a consular declaration. Find out which they will accept - consular declaration is easier and cheaper. Best advice is to go to your comune and ask for full details of what they need. They have an official form with all the requirements listed. If you go through it with them you will end up with your own checklist of what is needed. They will tell you which E form to apply for if you intend to leave the NHS. Terry

... http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/healthcareabroad/pages/livingabroad.aspx#q04 have a look to see what category you fall into to see what the number is should you need to call them... hope this is of some help at least regards the Health Care. I've just called them re the E106 and they tell me it certainly should/would cover you for health cover if you paid UK National Insurance in the last 2 years (it's roughly 18th month plus after your last contribution).

If you have a low income - below 9000 euros pa - you can get a ISEE form which does give you free prescriptions and tests etc, but its a pretty fangled system, and obviously you have to pay for your ISEE! 

It may not be totally free but in my opinion it is a better service, & for this service I do not mind paying. It's not astronomical and the long waiting periods for tests etc do not exist in my part of Italy. The reason we applied for the E106 was to save us paying the €900+ for health insurance. We have been given excellent treatment here.