good english speaking lawyer needed urgently

maureen tease Image
08/08/2009 - 08:20

Ciao tutti,I urgently need the services of a good english speaking lawyer in Abruzzo  -  I need a compromesso looked at as soon as possible.  I would also welcome advice on excellent builders in the area to complete the renovation of an old house with lots of character which I wish to retain.  Any advice would be greatly welcomed.  Thanks,Maureen



 suggest charlootte oliver...although this is can pm her...she works with us and rome is only a couple of hours from here... builders are not your foirst choice as regards work... primarily you need a geometra/architect... to see what your ifdeas and how its to be accomplished will be allowed... note that there are now many new laws about restucturing regarding elements that include energy the insulation of your building... and more importantley safety... depending on where you have bought... most of L'Aquila for instance being category 1 as regrds seismic regs.... meaning lots of re-enforcing finally check the building yourself... old buildings that have been damaged by leaching of internal clay from stone walls might well mean that you canot or will not be allowed to restore without shrouding the building in a steeel mesh and spraying it with concrete... either get a geometra before you sign any paper... along with lawyer or inspect all aspects carefully of luck...  if you are up in the Teramo area of Abruzzo can suggest geometras...but we only work locally to this part of Abruzzo and cannot with confidence help elsewhere with suggestions...

Hi, my husband is a carpenter, based in Introdacqua (nr Sulmona) he specialises in free standing kitchen pieces based on old French and Irish designs in painted real wood. He can also do other types of carpentry. Our house is old and we have stripeed it of it's 1970's interior and put back/restored all of the old features (old teracotta floors, old doors etc.)I would be happy to email you examples of his work if you want to see? just let me knowAngela

In reply to by Penny

Sorry if you thought I was posting a message that was not relevant. I just thought if they still wanted help with renovation by someone that understood the concept of retaining original features we might be able to help. We are new to the area and need to explore any possibility of finding work. I am also new to this type of communication so please forgive me. Angela

The Notary can you  help in  Compromesso and  Purchase Deed - after property checking !

Regarding builder , see here,


With all due respect, I completely disagree with what mentioned about the unnecessity to hire a lawyer for buying a property in Italy!

A notary public and a lawyer have totally different roles.

A Notary is a public official, and, among others things, he/she collects taxes due and register the new ownership. Surely if his job is not done correctly there will be legal consequences such as an invalid deed.

Whilst a lawyer acts on the best interest of the sole client (often the buyer). He/she does not limit his work in making sure that all documents are in place, but also by informing the client on all aspects of the purchase (which I cannot mention here for obvious reasons).

Important to notice that if a lawyer mistakes, he/she will responde with his/her own money, and also risks to lose the title. Reason why all lawyers have an annual professional insurance, which also covers those professionals who work, same as me, in the Real Estate sector.

It is correct to say that there is no obligation to hire a lawyer, however it is in your best interest to do so.

I am a lawyer and proud to have saved many clients from a bad purchase in Italy or to have led them to a good buy. However we have also been in touch with people (expecially foreigners) who thought that a lawyer was not needed, and who eventually spent more money in not hiring one!

For example, one of our last clients is a guy who was almost ready to buy a building land in Italy. The Notary checked all documents, titles and everything was apparently fine. However he felt more protect in hiring us, and fortunately he did so. If he did not contact a lawyer, he would now be the owner of a large building land where he could actually built just a 4 square meters house, basically just a dog bed for his pet!! And this is just one of the numerous examples I can provide you with.

Dear, lawyer , 

in Italy - and I am Italian - there are excellent laws on the use of building land - allow me to doubt that an Italian municipality has ever been able to issue a permit to build a dog's kennel, in a land used for residential building use

he would be so kind as to give details of his blatant accusation of building irregularities ?

thank you for the transparency and collaboration

Ugo Vagniluca . by


Hello Ugo,

No problem in asking for clarification about one of the numerous cases in which we saved a client from a bad purchase.  Always with the due respect, I do not believe to have posted “blatant accusation of building irregularities”.

The above example was not fully explanatory just for avoiding a longer post. I could even mention lots of other cases. My focus was to explain to the readers that sometimes it can be quite an advantage to have a professional checking all aspects.

Of course the Municipality  did not issue a “permit to build a dog's kennel”. In our case the land was advertised as a building plot, and it actually was! However, we calculated the standard minimum distance between buildings and it came out that there was not enough space for building our client’s dreams-home. This plot, together with the neighboring ones would have allowed him to built a proper home.

If anyone wishes to have more clarification on this topic, I will be more than happy to explain, you can contact me privately. However this was not the crux of the debate, which was mainly focused on the reason why a lawyer due diligence is more than crucial in some cases.

Grazie comunque Ugo per la Sua precisazione che rende il dibattito ancora più interessante :)

Luxury Law

The due diligence is done by the notary, by law, and is legally responsible, that is, it requires the notarial stamp, rather than the payment of a fine. But of course the lawyer can do it too - so the client pay 2 and get one -

However, in the aforementioned event, the fact remains that the municipality cannot have authorized the subdivision of a buidable land, where the distances from the borders did not allow the construction of a property, in accordance with the laws in force , that is, the shadow cast by the building cannot cross the boundary of the land on which it is built -

On the other hand, I suspect that the seller or whoever he is in charge of the sale has advertised as building land, a land that was not.


certainly, the Notary checks that on the property there are no constraints, easements, mortgages for loans yet to be paid, foreclosures and in short any impediment to the sale - and if there are any, he will write them in the compromesso, as a condition precedent, to the sale - then to the when signing the deed of purchase, check again - that these impediments have been removed - and that the property can be purchased and paid for, without there being any future problems - The notary, in Italy is an official public, and is responsible for what he signs, therefore both the compromise - to be registered - and the deed of sale. The lawyer, in Italy, does not sign deeds and compromesso and therefore has no responsibility if you sign a deed, with hidden constraints.

I have been dealing with mortgages to foreigners for over 20 years.

here some customers to ask, their experiences

We bought without a lawyer - following very very strong advice from our Italian friends. 

My advice is that it's much more important to have a good translator present at the signing.

Ah posts on two fronts! Perhaps April could say why one was needed? At the end of the day even our solicitor , who was very honest, said "in Italy you really don't want to take legal action as it just costs a lot of time and money!

In my experience a lawyer who is probably based hundreds of km from you will do only what a decent agent or any other person can do i.e.: check public documents available on the internet and translate (well or badly) documents in Italian.   In the above example, the CDU for the land would have shown clearly what you could or couldnt build, and has to be provided by the seller before the sale.   The notary must have this certificate to complete the sale, but doesnt need to explain it; after all the notary isnt interested in what your dream house is going to look like.

A CDU for a piece of land 22 metres wide, which has a minimum building distance from the boundary of 10m, will automatically mean you can build a house 2 metres wide.    Obviously  a buyer who speaks no Italian and has no knowledge of Italian law will need someone to check paperwork and help them through the process, at the risk of ending up with an act which is null.   Whether you need a lawyer, a translator, an architect, an agent or a bloke from the bar to help you through it is your choice.